Should you rent a two-bedroom apartment even if you don't currently need the second bedroom? While the extra space is nice, you may have more than just an emotional reason to pay for the extra rooms. In fact, you can turn that second bedroom into a source of income. How? Here are a few ideas to fit anyone's schedule and interests.
1. Create a Workroom. Do you have a hobby that could be turned into a small business? Entrepreneurs today use the internet, relaxed business entity rules, and outsourcing options to turn hobbies into moneymakers. And that spare room can be your base of operations. Use it to craft jewelry, create artwork, write your great American novel, or start a subscription box service.
2. Get a Roommate. Two-bedroom apartments allow you the option to take on a roommate — something ruled out if you rent a one-bedroom unit. Check with your landlord and make sure your rental contract allows the addition of roommates, of course, before you follow this route. But it could be an easy way to supplement your income and enjoy a little company.
3. Add a Home Office. Workers all around the world have been allowed to work from home since 2020. Can you follow this trend? Working from a dedicated home office reduces commuting, clothing, and professional expenses. The home office can also be used to take on additional remote work or even start a virtual side gig.
4. Make It a Studio. An empty room is ideal to turn into a photography or videography space for many business endeavors. You might offer portrait sessions, take great photos of vintage clothing, or show off your upcycled decor and furniture to social media followers. A dedicated space is essential to control light, noise, and backgrounds for the best results.
5. Organize Inventory. Not all businesses require you to actually work from your spare room. Instead, you might outfit it just to hold and organize inventory. Small retail businesses are often largely virtual, but you need a convenient space to keep your actual goods. Using a second bedroom means inherent security and 24-hour access to that inventory.
Where to Start
No matter what moneymaking ideas you might be open to, the best place to begin is to learn more about two-bedroom rental options near you. By finding a place within your budget and with the right access and space, you can turn your home into a side income that will pay off for many years. Visit rentals in your area today.